Friday, December 11, 2009

ON THE RUNWAY: INTERVIEW WITH CAIRO LOVE (FLORIDA)


Here is my interview with model Cairo Love out of the 850. She is definitely destined for great things!

How and when did you start modeling?

    I was an ugly duckling growing up and was never provided the same opportunities as my siblings who modeled for Elite Model Management. It was not until I graduated from highschool that I garnered enough confidence and began to come into myself physically that I realized modeling was an avenue I could finally enter. I joined Images Modeling troupe Summer 2004 and it all went from there. I was the head model for VIP Marketing and Promotions, then eventually relocated to Atlanta and appeared in a L’oreal commercial, couple videos, and fashion shows and it took off from there.

    Do you feel that the fashion/ modeling industry is competitive?

    It all depends on what fashion/modeling industry is to that individual. For the high fashion industry, it is competitive because industry heads KNOW what they want and they do not budge for the qualifications. It is much more competitive for African-American females who want to enter into the high fashion world due to their race and curvy shape. It is a little easier for black females who are of African descent due to the given ethnic, exotic looks that the high fashion industry looks for. Like for me, I am part Egyptian/Nigerian so that helps me stand out physically in a room full of black American females at a casting. On the other side of the industry, the urban market is competitive for its own kind because there are way too many females who are willing to degrade themselves for the greater good while the REAL ones have to work harder to make it. Also, the urban market is competitive for dark skinned females as most urban magazines/publications and videos only highlight light skinned females over the dark skinned ones. It’s like the white high fashion world adores dark skinned females while the urban market shies away from its own kind…weird. But no stress because there is WAY much more consistent money to be made with the high fashion market than with the urban market…being in videos WILL NOT make you successful….lol

    How do you spend your time when you're not in front of the camera?

    Hahaha….when am I EVER not in front of the camera? Lol.. well when I am not doing a photo shoot or performing an on camera interview or doing mini photo shoots with my digital camera I am studying. I am currently attending Florida A&M University getting my Master’s in Health Administration as well as supervising/assisting the Nappy Boy DJs and Dreamz Studio owned by TPain’s Official DJ, DJ Lil Boy. Also, hosting for 850Live interviews. My time is spread out well and I know I live a BUSY life but I LOVE it…it’s self fulfilling.

    Are you signed with an agency? If not, is that a goal?

    I am not signed with an agency. I have been out doing all the networking and the leg work that got me to where I am today. It would be nice to be signed to an agency but even if I was I still would do all the leg work at the end of the day…lol...

    Have you always wanted to model?

    I have always wanted to model and appear in commercials, print ads, movies and runway shows especially for Zac Posen. But I also share a love for the art of music and thus my focus has shifted from wanted to solely be a model to wanting to work behind the scenes in the music industry doing artist development. Aside from that I would also like to be a TV personality and the go to VJ.

    Which photographer do you dream about working with in the future?

    I would love to work with Mickey Smith, he is a photographer for Vogue. I absolutely adore his work.

    Describe a shoot that you had the most fun working on.

    Hmmm….let’s see. Well the shoot I had the most fun on would be when I shot with a local photographer Jayell Latrell with Risonistic Photography. We did a shoot at a studio that had sooo many props there to choose from and wardrobe plus a kick ass makeup artist. Everything was fun and went well….sad part is his computer crashed and the images were lost….oh well…lol.

    What beauty product can you not be without?

    The one beauty product I cannot be without is shower gels. I love taking baths and smelling good and having soft skin…couldn’t do without it..espeically Halle Berry’s line of shower gels…absolutely love it!

    Who are some of your favorite designers?

    My favorite designers range from urban to high fashion and include Betsey Johnson, Ralph Lauren, Zac Posen, Yves Saint Laurent, Givenchy, Anna Sui, Gianfranco Ferre, Elie Saab, Dries Van Noten, Pierre Cardin, Nanette Lepore, Noram Kamali…man I could name so much more but we’ll stop here…..Santino Rice, Isaac Mizrahi, Vera Wang, Chloe….so much.

    What piece of advice can you give to those young women trying to be in the fashion/modeling industry?

    The advice I would give is to be persistent and continuously keep knocking on doors because eventually someone will open the door…the question is what are you going to do? Are you going to stand there? Walk through? Or run straight through it…that determines your future success. Also, be diverse and open minded…don’t be stuck on one thing….think outside the box because the more you expand your mind and horizons the better your chance are of reaching the top. And lastly, keep God first because you cannot and will not make it without Him. To reach me find me on twitter.com/cairolove, facebook under Cairo Love or my website www.cairoloveonline.com. Cairo Love Signing Out.
Tallahassee, FL